Renowned for their enduring quality, Rolex watches are treasured for their unmatched craftsmanship, precision, and elegance.
But do Rolex watches hold their value?
Like brand-new cars, most watches depreciate the moment they leave their showroom. However, it is not the case with all the other watch brands like Rolex.
Rolex watches can retain their value or also appreciate over time. And, this indeed makes a Rolex watch a good investment. Now:
Do all Rolex go up in value?
Virtually all Rolex timepieces hold their market value, but few models may significantly appreciate over time.
However, you cannot assess whether or which Rolex model will hold its value the best.
Your beloved Rolex Datejust that was gifted on your graduation may not be featured in any auction. Regardless, your watch will indeed hold its value over time.
However, if anyone happens to own a Paul Newman Daytona of the 1970s, he/she can expect six-digit figures when selling the Rolex watch.
The fact is that the value of a Rolex watch is determined based on many factors, including the model, unique features, celebrity association, and condition.
Thus, let’s today explore some of the significant factors that influence the resale value of a Rolex.
Every Rolex model keeps hold of high value because of its premium quality and historical perspective.
- However, the value varies from one Rolex watch to another in the second hand market.
- For example, some vintage Submariner and Daytona watches have significantly appreciated over time.
- The brand’s rich history, the model’s historical perspective and people’s obsession with Rolex further boost popularity.
However, besides the particular model, many other factors are also responsible for a Rolex watch appreciating.
Reference Number & Eccentric Features
Ideally, the reference number and some distinct qualities of Rolex watches influence the resale value more significantly.
- With rare reference numbers and eccentric qualities, a Rolex timepiece can be set apart from other models in the pre-owned market.
- Keep in mind that small details or qualities can dramatically increase a watch’s value, making it worth than other identical iterations.
One of the most famous examples is the Rolex Submariner “red”. The watch features the text “Submariner” engraved in red letters on the dial.
Such a small but rare detailing plays a vital role in increasing the overall value of a specific model.
One of the significant factors that watch buyers consider while determining the value of a Rolex watch is its condition.
Thus, experts recommend taking care of a luxury watch properly.
- Any significant damages, defects or imperfections on your Rolex watch may cause a substantial cutback in its resale value.
- Before you head out to sell your Rolex watch, make sure to ascertain its wear and tear.
Potential watch buyers like at The Luxury Hut often ensure to offer the highest price for a Rolex watch in excellent working condition.
The better the condition, the better the chance that the watch would increase in value.
Finally, The Time
Time plays an essential role in determining whether a Rolex will appreciate or not.
However, one misconception is:
- A Rolex watch becomes more worthy as soon as it achieves the vintage status.
Indeed, the value can go up if the factors like reference number, condition, and unique features line up perfectly.
For example, the brand-new Datejust watches typically sell for more than its vintage references. Why?
- The vintage Datejust models are pretty much available in a decent number and also in nearly good condition.
- Moreover, these examples don’t flaunt enough eccentric characteristics that will help them to stand out of the crowd.
Of course, if you sell a Rolex Datejust that was bought in the 1980s for a few hundred rupees, you are likely to obtain a few thousand pounds.
The value has indeed increased. But if you consider other factors like the maintenance costs, the resale price you obtained may not be as high as it should have been.